Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Three Musketeers - Tomatos for the Red Guard


65mm civilian figures for the 17th century are hard to come by and so far, there is only one available in the King & Country Pike and Musket range. So one has to be creative and source other figures that have the right potential. In this case, I took a gamble. I knew the Lemax christmas figures had the right size and bulk to fit with the larger K&C models, but could they be made to look like? The apple vendor looked like she was fairly period neutral and would work well in the 17th century. 
A promotional picture of the donor figure. Mine wasn't as well painted...

Matching the K&C painting style closely enough to make it fit in was a bit of a challenge. I didn't succeed completely but I think it's close enough to use. The skintones I picked ended up being a bit more pink than the K&C figures, so I will amend the recipe on the next ones. I do worry that I made the colours a bit too drab in my attempt to make her look like someone from the poorer class. The apple vendor also gained a few years and became a tomato vendor instead.


"What... what did you do to me? I feel old..."
On the next pictures, the base was still unfinished as it still needed the above pictured changes to fit in with the K&C figures. :
"Are you going to finish that?"
Sizewise it's a very good fit as can be seen from her posing with young d'Artagnan here:

Buy some tomatos, milord?

"They look awfully ripe, good woman." - "All the better, in a few days time they'll be perfect for chucking at the cardinal's guards, milord." - "... I'll take ten."
And a quick side by side:

You say apple, I say tomato...

No comments:

Post a Comment