Thursday 31 August 2017

Robin Hood: The Black Canuns

I had picked up this set of OOP "Jolly Friars" from Lemax to add to my Robin Hood project. They were standing on a thick slab of a base that made them tower over the other figures. Lowering that base was not a pleasant endavour but I'm glad I did it. Unfortunately the casting on these was not the best, so painting them was a bit of a chore. This wasn't helped by the fact that I initially started to repaint them in the same colours as the original, which had the side-effect that even when they were almost done, they never stopped looking like the christmas junk that they are to me. Now I tend to have The Adventures of Robin Hood playing in the background for inspiration when working on these and then my attention was drawn to those blackclad monks that follow the Bishop around in the movie and do his bidding. I quickly decided to paint over the robes in black and turn them into black canuns. It seems to have worked as now I can view them as proper figures even though they are still rough in places.

Black canuns vs Lemax Jolly Friars
I'm not too happy with the faces, but they'll do fine for some cheap background figures.

Robbing you blind while looking all pious...

The Bishop of Nottingham and his cronies 
And the original inspiration...
Friar Tuck is not impressed by the black canuns' arguments


No comments:

Post a Comment