Tuesday 9 June 2020

The Three Musketeers - Captain de Tréville

Monsieur de Tréville, real name Jean-Armand du Peyrer, Comte de Troisville, was the respected captain of the musketeers guarding Louis XIII. A close adviser to the King, he is a man of great honour and integrity. He inspires loyalty in his men and gives it back without reserve. Possibly the embodiment of the musketeers' motto "One for all and all for one!".

Captain de Tréville flanked by the musketeers Aramis, Porthos and Athos
 

The Captain is a minor modification of the King and Country Gustavus Adolphus mini. It was chosen due to the colours of the model being a close match for the Musketeer uniform. It only needed a change of hair and the addition of the musketeer cross on the back of the cape. While I'm fine converting the cheaper Lemax figures myself, I wanted this model to be perfect, so I enlisted professional sculptor Ian Mountain, whom I had worked with before, to make the conversion. I then proceeded to paint it to match the rest of the figure. I wanted to give the impression of greying hair to his flowing locks to indicate his seniority. With the changes, he no longer looks obviously like Gustavus, at least to my eye.



"Sire, I have this urgent missive for you." - "What is it? Is Spain on the move again?"
 Frequent duels between musketeers and red guards were a regular point of contention between the Cardinal and the Captain.
"Your musketeers were caught duelling again!You must punish them!" - "I will look into it and give them their just deserts.
"I heard you disobeyed the prohibition of duelling again and fought the Cardinal's guards?" - "Yes, my captain, but..." - "Silence! I only want to hear one thing out of  you... Did you win?" - "We did, sir!" - "Good."


"This is d'Artagnan, captain. He's the one who bested and injured Monsieur de Jussac in single combat." - "No small feat. I hear you want to become a musketeer, boy?" - "More than anything, captain!" - "Well, at least you're a Gascon."

3 comments:

  1. Superb collection of figures, the coach is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful figures. Here are some simple swordfighting duelling rules if their blades are getting a bit rusty! https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/duelling-in-the-sandpit-lunge-cut-and-stop-thrust/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, ihe captain is one of my ancestors

    ReplyDelete